Food : Main Courses
Ingredients for Salt-Crust Baked Beetroot
• 500g Plain Flour
• 400g Water
• 200g Murray River Pink Salt, finely ground
• 2 sprigs Thyme
• 5 twists Black Pepper
• 50ml Pepper Berry Vinegar
Ingredients for Whipped Goat’s Curd
• 100gm Fresh Goat’s Curd
• 4tsp. Double Cream
• 1tsp. Chardonnay Vinegar
• 2 twists White Pepper
Ingredients for Macadamia, Beetroot And Rye Sand
• 100g Roasted Macadamia, coarsely chopped
• 100g Air-Dried Beetroot Powder
• 100g Toasted Rye Bread, coarsely chopped
Salt-Crust Baked Beetroot Method
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Gently clean the beetroot by scraping with a small knife; do not peel them.
- Mix all the salt crust ingredients together in a large bowl to form a paste.
- Roll this paste out on a floured surface, then wrap each beetroot up in some of the paste; push the edges together to seal it.
- Lay the wrapped beetroot on a baking tray, and bake for 45 minutes–1 hour until cooked, set them aside to cool.
- When the beetroot are cool to the touch, break all the paste open and take them out; they should be cooked but still firm to your touch.
- Take the skins off carefully.
- Marinate in pepper berry vinegar.
Whipped Goat’s Curd Method
- Whip the goat’s curd ingredients together in a large bowl until smooth. Store in a piping bag with a 1cm plain nozzle, put the bag in a dish and chill it in the fridge.
Macadamia, Beetroot And Rye Sand Method
- Mix all ingredients together, then season to taste.
Created by : Ian Jones