Food : Appetisers
Tea Crusted Atlantic Salmon with Beetroot, Wasabi and a Soya Caramel
• 2 tea bags Dilmah Watte Single Estate - Doombagastalawa Estate Broken Orange Pekoe Special (infused overnight in a small amount of olive oil)
• One slice of fresh Atlantic Salmon from the thicker part of the fillet
• 1 sheet of Nori
• Fresh baby Beetroot
• Wasabi powder
• Castor sugar
• Light Soya sauce
- To make the Soya caramel, heat the castor sugar until it is lightly caramelized, then add the Soya sauce to resemble a honey style consistency.
- For the wasabi sauce make a standard beurre blanc using white wine reduction and finish it with chopped hard butter. Then add the wasabi which has been reconstituted with water to form a velvet style slightly green sauce.
- Peel and finely slice the baby beetroot and roast in an oven with olive oil. Season and cook until soft.
- Pin bone salmon and coat in tea and oil mix, and then roll in nori sheets just before you cook.
- In a hot pan sear the salmon fillet, avoid burning the nori sheet or overcooking the salmon, normally 1-2 minutes if fish is at room temperature.
- Remove from pan and place onto a chopping board and slice into 1cm slices and place onto a serving plate. Add 1 slice of beetroot to each piece of salmon and serve. The two dipping sauces can be served directly on top of the salmon or in a separate dish.
The range of Dilmah Tea used
- Dilmah Watte Boutique Tea
The variety of Dilmah Tea used in the recipe
- Watte Single Estate Doombagastalawa Estate BOP Special
Created by : Paul Brown