Food : Main Courses
TARO PUFF WITH VEAL AND MOREL STEW
IngredientsIngredients for Taro Pastry
- 500g Taro Root, peeled
- 1/3 cup Wheat Starch
- 130ml Boiling Water
- 1tsp. Sea Salt
- 1tsp. Chinese Five-Spice Powder
Ingredients for Filling
- 300gm Stewed Veal, chopped into 1.5 cm cubes
- Flour to dust
- 2tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 3tbsp. Butter
- 80g Onions, diced
- White Wine/Chicken Stock
- 2-3 sprigs Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 100g Morel Mushroom
- 125ml Cream 35%
- Chives, chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
MethodTaro Pastry Method
- Cut the peeled taro into big chunks. Sit on a flat plate or tray and steam in a convection oven for about 1 hour until soft.
- Mash the soft taro in a large bowl while still warm.
- Mix the wheat starch and water to make paste, add to the taro and mix until combined and smooth. Add the salt and five spice powder and knead well to combine.
- The dough should be soft and pliable. Cover the dough with a cloth while you proceed to roll and assemble the pastries.
- Pat veal dry. Dust lightly with salt, pepper and flour. Heat oil in a pot and sauté veal cubes in batches, adding more oil if necessary.
- Add butter to the pan and add onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove veal from pan.
- Deglaze with white wine or chicken stock. Bring to a boil, scraping bottom of pan to mix in solidified juices on the bottom.
- Add veal. If necessary, add a bit of water or chicken stock so that liquid just covers veal. Add thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook gently for 30 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cream. Cook, uncovered, very gently simmer for 30 mins or longer until veal is tender and the mixture is thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Keep aside.
Created by : Yam An Nie