Food : Main Courses
Prawns and Scallops with Perfect Ceylon Tea Sushi Rice
- 10 green tiger prawns, peeled leaving tail intact, deveined
- 10 small scallops, halved widthways
- Cervil leaves, to serve
- 1 cup kewpie mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon green yuzu kosho (yuzu chilli paste)
- 1½ teaspoons salted yuzu juice
- 400ml rice vinegar (Siragiku Brand)
- 250g castor sugar
- 80g Salt
- 3.5g kombu (kelp)
- 1kg Japanese sushi rice
- 1.25 litres water, plus extra to soak
- 2 Dilmah Perfect Ceylon Tea bags
- To make the yuzu mayonnaise, combine the mayonnaise, green yuzu kosho and salted yuzu juice in a small bowl.
- Set aside.
- To make the sushi vinegar, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt and kombu in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until sugar and salt dissolve.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Strain through a fine sieve.
- Set aside.
- To make the sushi rice, rinse rice under cold running water until water runs clear.
- Place rice in a large bowl and cover with cold water.
- Set aside for 35 minutes to soak.
- Drain well.
- Place in a saucepan with water and place over high heat.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to very low and cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and set aside, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Transfer rice to a large bowl with 225ml of the sushi vinegar and Perfect Ceylon Tea leaves.
- Use a spatula to carefully fold vinegar mixture through the rice, fanning with spatula occasionally.
- Continue folding until well combined and rice is sticky.
- Set aside to cool.
- Use a small knife to cut down the back of the prawns, not cutting all the way through, to butterfly.
- Using wet hands, shape tablespoonsful of sushi rice into oval shapes.
- Top with prawns and scallops.
- Spoon a little mayonnaise mixture over each sushi.
- Use a small blow torch to caramelize the mayonnaise over each sushi. (Alternatively cook under preheated grill until caramelized.)
- Arrange on serving plate and top with cervil leaves.
- Serve immediately with soy sauce.
The range of Dilmah Tea used
- Dilmah Exceptionals
The variety of Dilmah Tea used in the recipe
- Exceptional Perfect Ceylon Tea
Created by : Peter Kuruvita