Food : Main Courses
OX TONGUE AND SWEET POTATO
- 200g sugar
- 200g salt
- 1 tsp juniper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 star anise
- ½ tsp allspice
- 3l water
- Ox tongue
- 1 onion
- 2 litres chicken stock
- 100ml brandy
- 1 parsnip
- ½ sweet potatoes
- 1 Desiree potato
- Brine one ox tongue for four days, cover and let it sit for 30 minutes. Strain the mixture
- Poach brined tongue for 4 hours.
- Once tongue is cooked, remove from the stock and press overnight with a weight on it.
To make the glaze
- Strain and reduce the cooking liquid of the tongue to 300ml.
- Pass through a sieve and taste for seasoning. (Should be thick and sticky in texture.)
- Cut the sweet potato into a 10cm x 1cm baton.
- Slowly roast this till just cooked. Try to retain the shape.
- Season with salt, pepper and oil before roasting.
- Use a peeler to peel the skin off the vegetables.
- Continue peeling until the entire vegetable is in ribbons.
- Deep fry these ribbons till crisp.
- Season with salt.
Brik Pastry Roll
- Lay 2 sheets of Tunisian brik pastry down.
- With a meat slicer, slice the Ox tongue very thinly and lay onto the brik pastry.
- Place a log of sweet potato in the middle and roll the log up.
- Bake in 180C oven for 15 minutes or till golden and crisp.
Glazing Ox Tongue Log
- Once the roll is crisp and cooled, it’s time to glaze it.
- In a pan add 60ml of ox tongue glaze. Let this reduce and bubble.
- Roll the log through the mix until well coated.
- Serve immediately.
Created by : Mitchell Grady