Food : Appetisers
Orange Cake with Peppermint and Cinnamon Tea Syrup
- 3 oranges
- 9 eggs
- 375g castor sugar
- 375g almond meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (100g) castor sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 2 Dilmah Exceptional Peppermint and Cinnamon tea bags
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
- Place the orange in a large saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Place over high heat and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and drain well.
- Repeat boiling process and draining 2 more times.
- Return oranges to saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 2 hours or until oranges are tender. Drain well. Set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base and sides of two 20cm (base measurement) springform pans with baking paper.
- Coarsely chop oranges and place in the bowl of a food processor and process until mixture is pureed and smooth.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the eggs and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add the almond meal and baking powder and gently fold with a metal spoon until just combined. Add the orange puree and gently fold until just combine. Pour evenly among the prepared pans. Bake for 30 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Remove from oven and set aside in pans to cool completely.
- To make the syrup, combine the sugar, water, tea bags, ginger and mint sprigs in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to the boil.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until syrup thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Strain syrup into a jug.
- Place cakes on serving platters.
- Drizzle with syrup to serve.
The range of Dilmah Tea used
- Dilmah Exceptionals
The variety of Dilmah Tea used in the recipe
- Exceptional Peppermint Leaves with Ceylon Cinnamon
Created by : Peter Kuruvita