Food : Appetisers
MOMOFUKU DUCK STEAMED BUN
- 1kg Canter Valley duck legs
- 75ml sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis)
- 50ml canola oil
- 3 red onions, sliced
- 75g fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- ¼ bunch coriander, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 100g brown sugar
- 100ml oyster sauce
- 100ml mirin
- 2 star anises
- Chicken stock
- Pre heat oven to 160C on steam bake (if function is available).
- Rub duck legs with sweet soy sauce.
- Heat oil in skillet pan and seal duck until golden brown. Place duck in an ovenproof casserole or ovenproof pot with lid.
- Return skillet to heat and add onions, ginger, coriander, and garlic to skillet. Sauté for a few minutes and then add to duck.
- Deglaze the skillet with mirin and then add to duck. Add sugar, oyster sauce and star anise to pot and enough chicken stock to cover duck.
- Cover pot with lid or tin foil and place in a preheated oven for 1 ½ hrs or until the duck is fork tender. Take out when done and allow to cool.
- Strain cooking liquid into a metal bowl and allow to cool. Once cooled remove any fat that has come to the top of the liquid. When the duck is cooled enough to handle, remove skin and shred meat.
- Pour liquid in a pot, bring to a boil and reduce. The stock should become syrupy and concentrated. Pour the majority of reduced stock over the shredded duck. Keep the remaining stock for plating and garnish.
Created by : Kate Sekulla.