Food : Main Courses
IngredientsBanana Sponge & Strawberry Sponge
- 4-5 Bananas
- 135g Strawberries
- 550g Flour
- 2tsp Salt
- 2tbsp Corn Flour
- 2tsp Baking Powder
- 550g Sugar
- 10 pcs Eggs, separate the egg yolks
- 2tbsp Cream of Tartar
- 1tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 10tbsp Milk
- 40g Butter
- 65g Solid Vegetable Shortening
- 65g Butter
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 250g Confectioners’ Sugar
- 2tbsp Milk
Almond And Cardamom Mousse
- 5 Pasteurized Egg Yolks
- 125g Sugar
- 750ml Whipping Cream
- 50ml Almond Extract
- 20g Gelatin
- 25g Peanut Butter
- 50g White Chocolate
- 20g Corn Flakes
- 100ml Cream
- 25g Dark Chocolate
- 30g Almond Flakes
- 5g Cardamom Powder
- 4 Gold Leaves
- Gold powder to dust
- 4 Strawberries, sliced
- 2 Vanilla Pods
MethodBanana Sponge & Strawberry Sponge
- Grease two baking trays with butter and place a parchment paper.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 180°C for 15 minutes.
- Sieve the flour, corn flour, salt, baking powder, and place aside.
- Beat the egg whites separately until they begin to slowly form soft peaks.
- Now add the cream of tartar and beat until they reach the stage of soft peaks.
- Mash the bananas and strawberries separately using a hand blender. Place aside.
- Beat the egg yolks separately until soft and fluffy. Add sugar into the egg yolk mixture and beat again until they blend well with each other.
- After that, add milk and beat again until they combine nicely. Add vanilla essence (only for banana sponge). Separate the mixture into two and mix well.
- Add in the mashed bananas and strawberries into the above mixture in 2 separate parts and beat until the mixture incorporates well with each other.
- Add sieved dry ingredients in batches of three.
- In a large bowl, beat the shortening and butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add in vanilla and beat again until smooth.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beat well on medium speed. Continually scrape the sides of the bowl to mix them well. When all sugar has been mixed in the icing will appear dry.
- Gradually add milk; beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- For thin (spreading) consistency icing, add 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk. For pure white icing (stiff consistency), omit butter; substitute an additional 1/2 cup shortening for butter and add 1/2 teaspoon of no-colour butter flavour.
Almond And Cardamom Mousse
- Beat the egg yolk with 75g sugar until sabayon consistency is reached.
- Boil the cream with 50g sugar and add the sabayon to it. Switch off the flame and fold gently using a spatula. Put it aside and let it cool.
- Once the mixture gets cool, add the soaked gelatin sheets.
- Whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Add almond extract and fold all together.
- Set in desired shapes and chill.
- Melt white chocolate and mix with crushed cornflakes and set as a filletone sheet.
- Melt chocolate and mix with boiled cream for ganache.
- Keep the filletone sheet as a base, spread a thin layer of butter cream and arrange a layer of strawberry sponge, spread peanut butter and a layer of banana sponge.
- Repeat the above step twice to form a tower.
- Roll the mousse in almond flakes mixed with cardamom powder
- For plating, layer the sliced strawberries at the bottom, put on the tower cake, place the mousse on top and then garnish with a vanilla pod.
- Sprinkle with gold leaves and dust for final touch.
Created by : Alpesh Dias