Food : Main Courses
DILMAH UDA WATTE SMOKED DUCK, CHILLI JELLY & PICKLED VEGETABLES
- 3 tbsp Dilmah Uda Watte Tea
- 30 ml light soy sauce
- 30 ml fish sauce
- 30 ml sesame oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup rice
- 1tsp star anise
- 150ml cider vinegar
- 120ml water
- 75g castor sugar
- 6 medium-hot chilies
- 1 sheet gelatin
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- Toasted black and white sesame seeds
- In a mixing bowl, combine pepper, soy, fish sauce & sesame oil. Coat and marinate duck for 30 minutes. Sear duck breasts skin down in a saucepan over a medium heat for 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Place some foil in a wok, add Dilmah tea, star anise, sugar and rice. Cover with a wire rack and cover. Turn heat to high until the wok begins to smoke.
- Add duck breasts skin up and reduce heat to medium. Cover and allow to smoke for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow duck to rest in wok for a further 5 minutes. Thinly slice duck breast.
- Combine chilli, sugar, water & vinegar in a pot and bring to a simmer.
- Take pan off heat and blitz ingredients together with hand mixer. Strain mixture. Leave to stand for 20 minutes and stir again to distribute chilli evenly.
- Soak gelatin sheet in water and add one to mixture. Pour jelly into dry sterilised jar to set.
- Mix cucumber and salt in a small bowl and set aside to soften for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse, then combine with carrot and onion. Combine vinegar, sugar and water in a saucepan over a medium heat. Pour mix over vegetables and set aside to cool. Refrigerate.
The range of Dilmah Tea used
- Dilmah Watte Boutique Tea
The variety of Dilmah Tea used in the recipe
- Uda Watte
Created by : Geoff Laws