Food : Main Courses
CINNAMON SPICED TEA CRUSTED KANGAROO
IngredientsTea Crusted Kangaroo
- 6 tbsp Dilmah Ceylon Cinnamon Spice, loose leaf tea
- tsp whole coriander seeds
- tsp whole black peppercorns
- tsp star anise
- tsp ground ginger
- tsp salt
- 1 tbsp (packed) light brown sugar
- 1(680g) Kangaroo fillet
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- Cherry blossom
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 2 squash
- 50ml honey
- 50g butter
- 2 small parsnips
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 250ml milk
- 250ml water
- Bay leaves
- Whole black peppercorns
MethodTea Crusted Kangaroo
- Combine the tea leaves, coriander, peppercorns, anise, ginger and salt in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and finely grind together.
- Transfer to a shallow plate and stir in the brown sugar. Mix well.
- Cut the kangaroo into 1 inch thick and 1 inch wide strips.
- Roll each strip in the canola oil, and then roll in the tea spice crust to coat well. Reserve the remaining oil.
- Let sit for 10 minutes for the crust to set.
- Lightly seal kangaroo, then place the kangaroo in the oven at 180C and cook until rare to medium (approx. 2 minutes).
- Once cooked, let rest and cool. Then roll in plastic wrap until tight. Slice thinly.
- Dice the vegetables, heat a pan and melt the butter.
- Sweat the vegetables until soft and then add the honey.
- Peel and slice the parsnips. Heat a small pan and sweat the parsnips, garlic and shallots in butter.
- Add the water and milk.
- Add the bay leaves and peppercorns wrapped in a cloth for easy removal.
- When cooked, strain and reserve the milk and water mix.
- Add a small amount of water and milk mix to the parsnips and blend to a small consistency, add more milk mix if needed and season.
Created by : Sara Egan