Food : Appetisers
Ceylon Green Tea and Lemon Myrtle Steeped Macquarie Harbour Ocean Trout, Texta Leeks, Shitake and Enoki Mushrooms and Green Tea Noodles
IngredientsCeylon Green Tea with Lemon Myrtle
• 8 tea bags Dilmah Pure Ceylon Green Tea
• 2 dried lemon myrtle leaves
• 1l Water (freshly boiled)
• 2 teaspoons Dilmah Pure Ceylon Green Tea (split 4 tea bags)
• 4 Ocean trout, pin boned with skin on (150g each)
• ½ cup Bonito flakes
• ½ cup Spring onion tops (sliced)
• 2 teaspoons Sea salt flakes
• Pinch of White pepper
• Pinch of Castor Sugar
• Muslin cloth
• Ghee to cook
Green Tea Noodles
• 2 teaspoons ground Dilmah Pure Ceylon Green Tea
• 200g ‘00’ flour
• 1 whole free range Egg (lightly beaten)
• 1 Egg yolk
• 4 teaspoons Spinach water
• Sea salt
• 12 Texta leeks (trimmed and cleaned)
• 4 Shitake mushrooms (sliced)
• 1 cup Enoki mushrooms (cleaned)
• 2 slices young Ginger
MethodCeylon Green Tea with Lemon Myrtle
- Brew the green tea with lemon myrtle leaves for 3-5 minutes, remove the tea bags and cool.
- Combine all the ingredients, gently coat each individual portion of ocean trout with the mixture, except for the skin. Wrap each piece in the muslin cloth and secure with butcher’s twine, carefully. Place each piece into the cooled green tea with lemon myrtle infusion making sure that the skin stays above the surface, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. The longer the trout ‘steeps’ the more intense the flavour will become.
Green Tea Noodles
- Process flour, salt and green tea. Add the beaten eggs and spinach water while still processing. Remove from processor and knead on a lightly floured surface to bring the dough together. Cover and rest for 30 minutes.
- For the next step you will need a pasta machine. Roll out 6 cut sheets into 4 inch lengths and then put through the spaghetti attachment. Cook in a large pot of salted water for approximately 1 minute. Strain, slightly cool, divide the noodles into four and using a fork or carving fork, twirl the noodles into individual bundles. Place onto a tray, cover and refrigerate.
Cooking the trout
- Remove trout from green tea reserve and unwrap, carefully scrape away the bonito flakes and spring onion tops. Pat dry and sprinkle a small amount of sea salt onto skin. Heat a frying pan until hot, add a little ghee then place the ocean trout skin down. At this stage gently hold the fish down for approximately 15 seconds using a spatula (this will stop the trout skin from contracting and the result will be a crisp, toffee like finish). Continue to cook on a moderate heat for 1-2 minutes, carefully turn over and let the fish ‘rest’ in this pan in a warm area until ready for use.
The range of Dilmah Tea used
- Dilmah Ceylon Green Tea
The variety of Dilmah Tea used in the recipe
- Pure Ceylon Green tea All Natural
Created by : Paul Foreman