Food : Main Courses
CANTERBURY BACON AND EGG PIE WITH TAMARILLO SAUCE
- 4 small savoury pastry cases baked blind until golden brown
- 8 Canter Valley quail eggs
- 100g finely diced onion
- 100g finely diced free range streaky bacon
- 20ml canola oil
- 100g Gruff Junction Wiahora feta
- 100ml free-range egg and cream liaison, seasoned
- 2 tbsp whole cloves
- 2kg Tamarillos, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Heat oil in pan; add onion and sauté for a couple of minutes until transparent. Add bacon and cook out on moderate heat until onion is caramelised to golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper.
- To fill pastry cases, layer feta and onion mix at the bottom of case. Crack 2 quail eggs into each case.
- Top with liaison to fill remainder of case.
- Bake for 6 – 7 minutes until liaison is set.
- Allow to cool, serve at room temperature with Tamarillo sauce.
- Into a medium preserving pan put all ingredients and stir well to mix.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 ½ - 2 hours, stirring occasionally until sauce is thick and pulpy.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Pass sauce through a sieve to remove seeds, skins and whole cloves.
- Check Seasoning.
Created by : Kate Sekulla.