Food : Appetisers
BLUEBERRY LEMON CAKE WITH CHEESECAKE TOPPING
IngredientsBlueberry Lemon Cake
- 200g butter
- 200g castor sugar
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 280g self-raising flour
- 100g blueberries
- 250ml sour cream
- 25g icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 vanilla bean
MethodBlueberry Lemon Cake
- Lightly grease a 12-hole deep muffin tin.
- Cut out 12 strips of baking parchment, each about 1.5cm wide.
- Cut each strip in half, and then lay inside each muffin hole to make a cross.
- Trim the ends so they rise about 1cm above the rim of the holes. You’ll use these as handles to remove the cakes when they are cooked.
- Heat oven to 160C.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, and then add the lemon zest and half the juice. Mix together well, and then stir in half the flour.
- Stir in the remaining lemon juice, then the remaining flour.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the tins, about 1 heaped tablespoon per case, then smooth over with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle a couple of blueberries over each cake, and then bake for 10 minutes.
- To make the topping, whisk together the sour cream, icing sugar, egg and vanilla bean until smooth.
- Take the cakes out of the oven – they should be pale and just firm.
- Gently press down to make a flat top, then spoon some cheesecake topping over each cake – the holes should be filled almost to the top.
- Scatter over some more blueberries. Return to the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes more until the topping is just set and gives only a little wobble when tapped.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the tin, then gently ease away from the sides of the tin and lift out using the paper handles
Created by : Glen Kirtley